After researching on inflatable silicon objects and installations, I knew I want to make something coming out of the wall. There were many different directions to take yet I was most interested in making a “kissing wall” with multiple lips that will respond to the user’s relative distance to the object. Due to time restrain and limited knowledge in 3D modeling, I made a mini lip blowing bubble as a starting point.
I first traced my 2D image of a lip in Illustrator before importing them into Rhino. This was my first time using Rhino and hence I found it very difficult to transform a 2D vector file into a 3D object since I lack the understanding in Rhino’s terminology. It took me a long time to create my base and stencil.
I wonder if I made the model incorrectly because the mold came out different from what was shown in Cura. There was a thin layer of seal on the top and the inner part of the mold was printed in strips instead of solids when I torn apart the top seal. I printed the same model twice but they both came out the same.
I ended up making a new mold with only the outline. Unfortunately, due to the inefficiency of our 3D printers, I wasn’t able to print a third mold in time and hence I carved out the inner strips to cast silicon.
During the wait for silicon to set, I made a new mold with only the outline so that I can just attach it directly to a solid bottom. I didn’t have enough time to cast with this model but will try it out in the next project.
Filling the base with silicon.
Stencil for the bubble and valve tube.
Some of the strips from the mold got into the rim of the silicon but it came out pretty well otherwise.
Here’s a video of it moving with the air pump. It’s not working the way I wanted to because there is not enough space for the air to go through to the middle where the bubble is at. Next time I will need to design it with a longer tube that extends outside of the lip.