After nearly four months of creating mostly screen drawings that I despised, I decided to take my last opportunity in ICM to make something that is meaningful to me.
For my final project, I want to bring my passion in video and sound into ICM. I encountered Xavier Cha a little over a year ago when she was giving a talk at my undergraduate studio art department and saw her video “abduct” which has stuck in my mind since then.
(image taken from Xavier Cha’s “abduct”)
I saw Tom Friedman’s exhibition “Ghosts and UFOs: Projections for Well-Lit Spaces” at Luhring Augustine a few weeks ago and was very inspired by his work.
I was excited about museums’ API that are available online and initially wanted to work with MoMA’s artists database. However, I have encountered many issues loading it into p5 (it’s forever loading on the screen) since it is such a large file. I ended up working with this herbs and spices data I found on Github via https://github.com/dariusk/corpora/blob/master/data/foods/herbs_n_spices.json
I spent a lot of time reviewing old materials before watching new videos this week and doing so allowed me to clear up a lot of confusions I had earlier this semester. Although I couldn’t make everything I wanted to make happen in this week’s assignment, I am quite happy with my creation for the first time!
Can’t believe that it has been almost a month since I started learning coding. I struggled with it everyday and wanted to jump into conclusion that it is just not for me. It didn’t take me long to become proficient with video and sound editing programs but I don’t know why coding is taking so long!
For this week’s assignment, I got to swap sketches with Haiyi. She created a drawing of grey polka dots in columns that’ll appear onto the screen in respond to mouseX.
For this week’s assignment, I decided to go back to the screen drawing I created last time and added movements to existing elements. I began with the background by randomizing the color and turned it into a neon color sequence.
First ever ITP post here! Transitioning from fine art into coding has been tough so far. Instead of directly applying paint I have previously mixed on a palette into the shape of a fish on a canvas, drawing in p5.js editor had similar process but in a complete different language. I created a mini aquarium because I like to collect underwater video footages. It was especially difficult to get the position and size of each bubble right. I had to test out several numbers. However, it took me the longest to get the color I want in each shape as well as the decorative grass at the bottom. I couldn’t figure out a way to repeat the triangle on its own so I had to duplicate and change the parameter one by one.